THE IMPORTANCE OF DENTAL IMPLANTS: 4 WAYS THEY CAN IMPACT FACIAL STRUCTURE
These days, more and more patients are opting for dental implants when they lose a tooth. At You First Dental in Airdrie, we are happy to assist patients with their dental implant needs in a comfortable, caring environment.
What Are Dental Implants and why does You First recommend them?
To fully understand the impact dental implants can have it’s important to first understand how they work.
Dental implants are like your natural teeth. A titanium base is surgically placed into your jawbone, taking the place of the root of your missing tooth.
On top of the implant, a well trained You First dentist places a crown that looks like a real tooth. With the crown, you can talk, chew, and clean it just like you normally would.
Dental implants are becoming a popular missing tooth option amongst dentists for replacing missing teeth for the following reasons:
- It’s Easier to Eat – With an implant, it’s easier to eat nutrient-rich foods, like raw fruits and vegetables, as well as nuts and seeds.
- You Have Better Alignment – Each tooth relies upon its neighbors to maintain proper alignment. If one tooth is missing, the others will shift to fill in the space. This strains the other teeth, as well as the muscles of the head and neck and the jaw joints.
- The Body Responds Well to Titanium – It’s easier for the implant to integrate into the bone, a process called osseointegration. This makes the implant more stable than other options that don’t rely on bony integration.
- Dental implants are Durable – The implant success rate is up to 98%. With proper care, they can last for years, decades – even a lifetime. This makes them a great investment.
- Better Alignment Leads to a Healthier Body – Misalignment can lead to clenching or grinding your teeth. This can result in TMJ disorder, pain, and sleepless nights. That, in turn, can put you at risk for diabetes, heart disease, obesity, and high blood pressure.
4 Ways Dental Implants Can Improve the Structure of Your Face
In addition to disturbing your sleep and causing TMJ disorder, missing teeth can also have a profound effect on facial structure. Dental implants can help with facial asymmetries and imbalances. Here’s how.
1. Dental Implants Promote Proper Tooth and Jaw Alignment
By filling in the empty spaces left by missing teeth, implants can keep the teeth and jaw in alignment which can improve or maintain your facial structure.
2. Implants Can Reduce Jaw Bone Shrinkage
Over time, if missing teeth aren’t replaced, the jawbone in and around the area of the missing tooth/teeth will lose its density and shrink. This can result in a sunken appearance.
Thankfully, a single implant, or multiple implants that secure a full denture, can remedy this situation. The implants keep the bone dense and strong, leaving your facial structure looking full and more youthful.
3. Dental Implants Can Prevent Further Tooth Damage
Tooth damage increases because more pressure/stress is put upon the remaining teeth. Eventually, you may end up with cracked or broken teeth, which can lead to a root canal or extraction.
An implant will prevent the other teeth from shifting, reduce the pressure upon them, and provide stabilization for the jaw.
4. The Body Will Continue to Adapt to the Implants
As time progresses, the body will continue to adapt to the titanium implant. The bone around it will get stronger and denser, which means your facial structure will remain intact as long as you have the implants.
How to Find out If Dental Implants Are Right for You
Should you get dental implants if you have missing teeth? Your Airdrie dentist at You First Dental will be able to tell you whether you’re a good candidate for them or not.
In some cases, patients need to have an additional procedure called a bone graft if they don’t have enough bone. And in other cases, they may need to make lifestyle changes (like smoking cessation) before their dentist will recommend an implant.
If you end up with dental implants, you won’t regret that you got them.
You’ll experience better chewing, fewer dental problems, and a fuller, more youthful appearance. With all of those perks, you’ll find that getting implants can even improve your confidence and self-esteem.
Are you interested in learning more about dental implants or our affordable payment plans for dental implants? Contact us for an exam and consultation. The team at You First Dental can help you determine whether dental implants are the best option for your missing teeth.